Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Last Day of the Games

First, I want to say thanks to all who have followed me and shared my experience. Thank you for all the comments and prayers!

Wave 4 departed and we welcomed Wave 5 guests (the final wave) on Aug 23. Arrivals day is always a busy busy day! Up and out of the hotel by 6 am. (ugh, I hate early mornings....especially when I'm not able to sleep!) Anywho....We got everyone checked in and off to their first event. Also, Paul and Amy departed and I was really sad to see them go. It was great having them here. It gave me a feeling of being close to home. This week, the homesickness has been tough. Can't wait to hug my family!!!! Im getting tired of Skype. However, I'm not gonna complain too much about that. I'm so thankful that at least we've had this tool to communicate and see one another! :) Laytin has learned some new songs on the keyboard and guitar and because of Skype, it was as if I was sitting right there watching and listening to him. Adrian and the kids seem to be hanging in there. They've all been so strong through this ordeal. And I know that having Skype has totally been a Godsend for us! The challenge has been the time difference.

I've spent a lot of time shopping. I love going to the market! I love bargaining!! And as a matter of fact, I'm quite the pro at it (if I have to say so myself!) :) All the girls here are really proud of my bargaining skills and ask me to shop for them! Even some of the local girls were quite shocked at what good prices I was able to bargain. :)

My hotel is in a really great area......there is a huge supermarket next to my hotel that I've been to quite a bit. And there is a Pizza Hut (yes, I've had pizza in Beijing! and it was really good!), a MacDonalds, a Starbucks, a Hagan Daaz ice cream parlor, and a 7-11!!! (LOL!) Yes, I've visited them all! At the 7-11, I bought some Chips Ahoy cookies and Laytin got a kick out of the Chinese package....So Laytin, there's a pic I'm posting just for you of my cookies! :)

Yesterday I had a first.....I took the subway by myself!!! I studied the map really good before I tried it and had asked one of the Chinese volunteers to write down some notes for me. Since I'm so not familiar with a subway system, I must say, the subway system represented this scary maze of tracks and trains. And that made me even more want to conquer it!!! The have 3 main train lines and they all go different directions and they are located on different levels. I must say, I was extremely proud of ME! I went from the Grant Hyatt to the Silk Market by subway, which was Line 1, 3 stops away. I know, doesn't sound like much. But remember, the crowd of people in the subway is massive and everywhere you look, there are Chinese signs and names! It is so easy to become overwhelmed. But I did it. :)

Sourabh and Ryan were working together yesterday morning and skyped me! So I was able to see and chat with Sourabh, Ryan and Piyal! It was sooooo good to hear from them! It was Saturday night for me and I was really homesick. So to Sourabh, Ryan and Piyal, that call meant sooooo much to me!! Thanks!

Another highlight to my experience: I attended the Men's Basketball Semifinals!! On the 22nd at 8 pm, it was Lithuiania vs Spain and then at 10:15, US vs Argentina!!!!!! OMG, it was so exciting. I had a huge US flag and was screaming and waving it every chance I got!! This Wave 5 had quite a few clients and hosts from Spain .... which added to the excitement and competition among our Atos group! I was happy for the Spanish group when Spain won! It was so exciting! And then when the US team came out......what can I say.....It was electric! So during the 1st quarter, I'm standing and screaming and waving my flag.....and I look up at the jumbotron.....and lo and behold!!!!! I'm on it!!!!! And they kept the camera on me!!! So I just kept yelling and waving!! (LOL!) Whoohoo!!!!!! I made the jumbotron at the 2008 Beijing Olympics Mens Basketball Semi-Finals!!! Not gonna lie, my 3 minutes of fame is quite huge for me! (lol!!!) Good thing my kids weren't there, they would have been mortified! (I could almost hear them....."Mother, please sit down") LOL!!! (I love you Mikail and Laytin!!!) :) The final game is US vs Spain. The Atos CEO of Spain was with us and as we are leaving the stadium, he wants a picture of me and him with our flags. When I get back to Houston, I will get a copy of that picture and post.

I was so glad they played the Star Spangled Banner before the game. I had not been able to attend an event yet where US won a gold and hear the national anthem. I just wanted to hear it live before I left!!! And I did!!!! :) (hopefully, I can figure out soon how to upload the video clip to my blogspot!)

So among us Hospitality volunteers, the first of us leave today. Bee Lian leaves today and I'm so blessed to have met her. She is a beautiful Asian lady and has such a warm and beautiful smile that lights up a room. Bee Lian converted to Christianity some time back and its obvious in her smile and spirit and I told her that I see the light of Christ in her smile. Another Asian friend that I've met is Trong. Trong is another who has converted to Christianity. It has meant so much to me to have met these and learn about them and share stories. Mikail asked me last night on Skype if I was missing church. Church is such a big part of my life and I do miss it. Pastor Jim, I can't wait to hear you preach when I get back!!!! I will probably just sit and cry the entire service. However, thanks to Nicholas, I've been able to hear some good preaching while I've been here. He sent his iPod with me and it's loaded with awesome music and some good church services. Thanks Nick!

So tonight is the Closing Ceremony. I will be there. Will take lots of pictures! I promise. I've been so busy this entire month, that it really has passed by quickly. But I must say, I'm so looking forward to Labor Day weekend in Houston with family and friends!!

Ok......gonna sign off for now and hope to post tomorrow after the Closing Ceremony.

Ciao!!! xoxoxoxo

3 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Sandra... thanks so much for writing in your Blog so that we can see what you have been up to... saw your family at church today and gave them all a big hug... come home soon and take care... Lisa

Anonymous said...

Indeed, it has been a pleasure keeping up with your China adventures. Your real life is going to seem boring....

Alan

ils sont fous ces parisiens! said...

hi sandra, i miss you so much, every thing was extremly difficult when i came back in paris. thats why i couldn't email you, im sorry, but i thought to you a lot!! i hope you have seen your family this week, i hope it was a good experience for you... looking forward to hear about you xoxo

laure-anne